OUR VALUES & HISTORY
Our Values -
We believe...there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
We believe...in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His miracles, His victorious atoning death, His bodily resurrection, His ascention to the right hand of the Father, and His personal return in power and glory.
God--The Holy Spirit
We believe...in the present minsitry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling every Christian is able to live a godly life.
We believe...the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, and authoritative Word of God for the Christian faith and daily lifestyle.
We believe...all people are lost sinners and must turn to Christ in saving faith and repentance for regeneration by the Holy Spirit.
We believe...in the resurrection of both those who believe in Jesus and those who do not believe: those believing to eternal life with Christ and those unbelieving to eternal punishment in hell.
OUR HISTORY -
The following notes come from the 1996 seminar paper written by Weston F. Cox entitled "The Community of Haviland, Kansas."
The first church building built in Haviland was the sod church built in 1885 which served both as a church and as a school. Church services were held in the old sod church until August 1893, when they moved to the second story of the Friends Academy building. A new building was built in 1905 with the "cornerstone laid August 8, 1905." It was completed in May 1906. Homer L. Cox was the first hired pastor in 1908. During his ministry of three years, a great revival spirit broke out, and a number of young preachers started their ministries. Homer Cox wrote the well-known gospel song, "It's Real."
The move for a new building came in 1958 as a Sunday School [class] studied the Book of Nehemiah and the teacher asked if there was a building in Haviland that needed to be rebuilt. The class agreed that a new church building was needed. A class urged couples to give one dollar for each year of married life. Plans were drawn up in 1960 for a building with 30 classrooms and a sancturary to seat 500. Construction began in the summer of 1962 and the current building was occupied in December 1963.
Haviland Friends Church is a member of the Evangelical Friends Church/Mid-America Yearly Meeting. You can find much more information on the Evangelical Friends and their beliefs HERE.